Friday, January 27, 2012

On the Road: Avanti Cafe, Costa Mesa, CA

Avanti Cafe
I first visited Avanti Cafe about a year ago, when I picked up their holiday dinner. Since then, they redecorated their little dining room, making more space for tables and chairs. It's a very cute little cafe, with great attention to detail, and it was nice to actually sit down and enjoy the atmosphere. They had these cute little spice boxes which held black pepper, Himalayan salt, and red pepper flakes. The wait staff was very friendly and solicitous. And they served water in green glass bottles, and left the bottle on the table so you could refill your glass as desired. I always love that.

  
Spice Container...Black Pepper, Red Pepper, and Himalayan Salt

My grandmother and I were lunching and we both had pizza. Avanti is a vegetarian establishment, with lots of vegan options. My grandmother who is an omnivore, had the One Eyed Pizza which was a vegetarian pizza and loved it. I ordered the vegan Arugula and Spinach Pesto Pizza and enjoyed it. My experience with Avanti Cafe is that their food tends to be good, but has more of a health food taste.

The Arugula and Spinach Pesto Pizza: organic sauteed kale & chard, spinach & arugula pesto, BBQ tempeh, falafel crusted onion rings, organic heirloom tomatoes, and Avanti pepperoncini.

Arugula & Spinach Pesto Pizza

Avanti Cafe Seating
Avanti Cafe...More Seating



Arugula & Spinach Pesto Pizza...Again

Avanti Cafe is a good choice if you're in the area, and they have nice atmosphere, but there's quite a lot of stiff competition in vegetarian, vegan, and vegan-friendly restaurants in the Costa Mesa area. And if you are going down a list of choices, I'm not sure they would be in my top 5. I'd definitely eat there again, and they are worth checking out for yourself...especially since maybe I just haven't had their to-die-for menu items yet.

Avanti Cafe
Ranking: ***1/2

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Avanti Cafe
259 E.17th St
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
(949) 548-2224
http://www.avantinatural.com/


Hours
Monday - Friday 11AM - 10PM
Saturdays 10:30AM - 10PM
Sundays 10:30AM - 8PM

No comments: