Monday, January 30, 2012

On the Road: Veggie Grill, Irvine, CA



Despite frequently being in the neighborhood, I kept missing chances to visit The Veggie Grill. But, finally, success! The Veggie Grill is a chain with about 7 locations in Southern California, and a new one in Oregon as well. The Irvine Spectrum Center location is smack dab in the middle of a busy and popular outdoor mall. How cool is that! I love that vegan(-friendly) restaurants are quite a bit more plentiful in California.

Santa Fe Crispy Chickin' Sandwich and Sweetheart Fries with Chipotle Ranch Dip
I had heard good things about their Sweetheart Fries, sweet potato fries served with vegan chipotle ranch sauce. And I have to say they did not disappoint. While not a big fan of sweet potato fries, these were particularly good. I was also in the mood for a sammie, and had a hard time picking between the Santa Fe Crispy Chickin', Bayou Chickin', or the VG-Cheeseburger. I finally settled on the Santa Fe which was crispy fried chillin' chickin', lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, and southwestern spiced vegan mayo. I really liked it too. Simple sandwich toppings, with a nice and crispy breaded faux chicken.

The Veggie Grill...Outdoor Patio looking In
They have indoor and outdoor seating, and I spent my time on the patio people watching. It was evening, and low lighting, so the pictures are a little dark, but what can ya do. Anyway, I would really like the chance to go back and try those other two sandwiches, and maybe some of the other items on the menu. But with the meal I had, this place is solid, and I would recommend anyone check it out. 


The Veggie Grill - Irvine Spectrum Center
Ranking: ****

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Veggie Grill - Irvine Spectrum Center
81 Fortune Dr
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 727-9900
http://veggiegrill.com


Hours
Sunday - Wednesday 11am to 9pm
Thursday - Saturday 11am to 10pm

No comments: