Monday, November 7, 2011

Nog Taste Test!

The Nog Taste Test!
Earth Balance Soy Nog vs. So Delicious Coconut Milk Nog vs. Silk Nog

What a rumble!

First a few words about each.

The Earth Balance Soy Nog has the typical nog flavoring of nutmegy cinnamon... at first. Then the aftertaste is like a weird return to bland, plain soy milk. It's kinda strange, actually.

The So Delicious Coconut Milk Nog is the creamiest and thickest of the three by far which was kind of nice. You can see the actual spices speckling the Nog, which you don't see in the others. But there is a slight coconut taste that distracts from the nog.

The Silk Nog is rather thin, and you can't tell in this photo so much, but's rather a yellow looking milk. Other than this, it has the requisite nog spices. (You can see my past review of all the Silk seasonal beverages here.)

Overall, I like the Silk best and would pick this one out of the bunch. But I would drink any of the others if they were available. Now I'd like some Nog pancakes. And suddenly, the word "nog" is the strangest word ever.

Ok, now for the ratings.

Earth Balance Soy Nog
Rating: **1/2

So Delicious Coconut Milk Nog
Rating: ***

Silk Nog
Rating: ****


***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.


[You can find all of these Nogs at Whole Foods. The Earth Balance and the So Delicious are new products so I'm not sure who else will be carrying them, but the Silk is also usually found at Sprouts and some of the supermarkets that carry Silk regularly.]

3 comments:

Marie said...

I was so excited to find the So Delicious Nog at the supermarket! It's the best nog I ever tasted! I haven't tried the Earth Balance nog, bur I found rice nog very bland and I could never drink more than a sip or two of Silk Nog before it started tasting almost sickly sweet. I'm so glad there are so many vegan choices!

Kenike said...

Me too. I haven't seen the Rice Nog yet this year, but I didn't like it when I tried it years ago so I didn't even consider adding it to the taste test. Which is kind of a bummer because I do like to be thorough. haha.

I do agree that Silk Nog, well, any of the seasonal milks seem to require lower portion sizes, likely due to the extra sweet flavorings.

Gilmore Planning & Landscape Architecture said...

Love me some nog. I like it in coffee during the holidays. Will check out the Silk.