Sunday, October 2, 2011

Candle Cafe Frozen Entrees

Candle Cafe Frozen Entrees
Not too long ago I reviewed Candle Cafe's Tofu Spinach Ravioli, it was very tasty. At the time it was the only one of Candle Cafe's four frozen entrees available. I have since been able to sample the remaining three flavors; Ginger Miso Stir-Fry, Macaroni and Vegan Cheese, and Seitan Piccata with Lemon Caper Sauce.

These other three flavors are not nearly as good as the Tofu Spinach Ravioli. I don't know if my expectations were too high or if they were legitimately subpar. The ravioli was sublime, whereas the others were okay, but by no means outstanding, and simply comparable to other frozen meals.


Ginger Miso Stir-Fry
I found the Ginger Miso Stir-Fry to be slightly spicy, but not in a bad way.


Macaroni and Vegan Cheese
The Macaroni and Vegan Cheese is fairly good, primarily because I love Daiya and how can you go wrong with noodles and Daiya. Here's the thing, and it quite surprised me too, I like Amy's Rice Macaroni and Cheeze better! It also uses Daiya vegan cheese. So, if I want Mac and Cheese, it'll be Amy's I buy.


Seitan Piccata with Lemon Caper Sauce
My first bite into this Seitan Piccata was not promising, but after a few more bites I found the meal to be okay. I love seitan in just about anything, so the taste of this one was quite disappointing.



I've always heard amazing things about both Candle Cafe and Candle 79, both in  NYC. I'm guessing their dishes just don't translate as well into frozen meals. All of them are completely decent, don't get me wrong, but I was just hoping for more. And honestly, I've found other brands that do a better job with the frozen meals.

Well, if we can't make it to NYC, and the frozen meals just aren't cutting it, we will soon be able to make our own Candle 79 meals with their brand new Candle 79 Cookbook. I'll be checking this cookbook out for sure, but it doesn't arrive until November 1st. You can preorder it on Amazon now.


Candle 79 Cookbook

Candle Cafe Ginger Miso Stir-Fry
Ranking: ***

Candle Cafe Macaroni and Vegan Cheese
Ranking: ***1/2

Candle Cafe Seitan Piccata and Lemon Caper Sauce
Ranking: **1/2

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.


[Right now, Candle Cafe frozen meals can only be found at Whole Foods. I found these at Whole Foods Tempe. Hopefully, in the future, they will be able to expand to other markets.}

No comments: