Monday, September 19, 2011

On the Road: Au Lac, Fine Humanese Cuisine, Fountain Valley, CA


Au Lac Fine Humanese Cuisine

Au Lac Fine Humanese Cuisine is a vegan/raw restaurant specializing in Vietnamese and Chinese food. It's been around for quite some time, and is a regular advertiser in VegNews magazine, which is how I first discovered it quite a few years ago. It is located in a little strip mall, and the outside is not very impressive, but the inside is very nice. I wish I had taken a photo so you could see the dining area. Despite the classy interior, the restaurant is laid back and casual. The staff are friendly. And the food is delicious. Half of the menu is composed of cooked vegan items and the other half is raw vegan, with a huge list of elixirs.

I have been here three or four times over the past few years, and I can't remember ordering anything raw. Maybe next time. Anyway, my sister, an omni, really likes this place, especially their egg rolls and vermicelli. She and I had been here before, pre-Chicos and Beans, so when I told her I wanted to go for lunch, she was totally game. We also dragged my brother-in-law with us.


'Egg' rolls & 'Pork' rolls
We ordered a couple of appetizers; the egg rolls and the pork rolls. For some reason, the Au Lac website is down and I can't access their menu to identify the full correct names. When it comes back up, I will edit this post with the correct info. The egg rolls were excellent. The pork rolls were okay, we really liked the peanut sauce.


Beef Lemongrass Vermicelli
I ordered the vermicelli because I just love this kind of dish. I love that it has noodles and greens and a great sauce and these super tasty thin strips of faux beef. So delish! This is the place that first introduced me to this vermicelli, years ago. And now I get it at my local Loving Hut all the time.




My sister orded this Lemongrass 'Chicken'. It was rather spicy, but really good. The faux chicken had a good texture and taste and I really liked the chili and lemongrass sauce. Through some very tricky manuevering, I stole her leftovers.


Seafood Noodles
My brother-in-law ordered this seafood noodles dish. He didn't realize it would come with faux shrimp, he hates shrimp, and wouldn't even try theses ones. So that means I got the little shrimp wonton and the shrimply bits. His dish was particularly unusual. I think it was made of some kind of bean noodles that I had never had before. They had this interesting earthy taste, mixed with the seafoody flavor of the sauce. It was good.

We didn't order anything for dessert this visit, though I happen to know they offer some nice 'cheesecakes' and some reportedly good raw chocolates. We hit up the nearby Sensitive Sweets (review coming) instead. I definitely recommend you visit Au Lac.



Au Lac Fine Humanese Cuisine
Ranking: *****

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Au Lac, Fine Humanese Cuisine 
16563 Brookhurst St
FountainValley, CA 92708
(714) 418-0658
http://www.aulac.com/

Hours
Tuesday - Sunday 11:33am -3:33pm, 5:33pm-9:33pm

No comments: