Thursday, July 15, 2010

On the Road: Mother's Market & Kitchen, Huntington Beach, CA



Mother's Market & Kitchen in Huntington Beach is a bit like a mini Whole Foods crammed inside a health food store shell. The market is fairly small, but definitely offers more than just the necessities. The cafe and juice bar aren't big either, but the place is not unmanageable. There are six Mother's Markets in Orange County; Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Woods, Anaheim Hills, and Santa Ana.

I love Mother's. The place is filled with vegan goodies in every department. They have a great deli, a juice bar with tons of smoothie, shakes, juice, and other beverage options, and their cafe. The cafe menu is about 90% vegetarian, and almost everything is veganizable.

Vegan Tofu Benedict with Herb Roasted Potatoes (Special)


My friend and I visited Mother's twice on our trip, as it was very convenient to where we were staying, and because my friend really liked what she ordered. She wanted it a second time! The first time I ordered the special, Vegan Tofu Benedict. I had really been wanting a Vegan Tofu Benedict, but hadn't gotten around to trying to make one myself from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. This really hit the spot. My friend got the Açai Rio Bowl and adored it.


Açai Rio Bowl


The second time around, I wanted a sandwich. I thought I had ordered a grilled "chicken" sandwich but when it arrived it was breaded and fried. Not that I'd complain about that! I love fried foods. It was my first time for sunflower sprouts which it was topped with. Very tasty. And the side of fresh fruit I ordered was perfect. Everything was in season and delicious. In Arizona, when you order a side of fresh fruit...well, good luck! And as I mentioned above, my friend wanted the Açai Rio Bowl a second time.

California "Chicken" Sandwich

Overall, both dining experiences at Mother's were grand. I'm pretty much a regular there when I visit. So I know I'll be back. Mmmm.


Generic-looking Cafe but with Cool Surfer/California Posters


Mother's Market & Kitchen (Huntington Beach)
Ranking: ****

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mother's Market & Kitchen (Huntington Beach)
19770 Beach Blvd.
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
(714) 963-6667
http://www.mothersmarket.com

Hours
Weekdays 8AM - 10PM
Saturdays 8AM - 10PM
Sundays 8AM - 10PM
Juice Bar 8AM - 8PM

1 comment:

Thai Restaurant Tempe said...

Thanks for the interesting and informative post. I enjoyed reading it and look forward to more in the future.