Wednesday, July 14, 2010

On the Road: Taco Loco, Laguna Beach, CA


When I was researching places to eat in Southern Cali, Taco Loco came up with high marks on beach shack charm (they are located on the Pacific Coast Highway) and their "blackened" foods. They've been around for quite some time, and while not vegan, they are vegan-friendly, with several vegan menu items.  I saw lots of good reviews about their Blackened Mushrooms and Tofu Burger, but as I am not a fan of mushrooms and I kinda wanted a 'seafood' taco, I was excited to see they had Blackened Vegie Phish Tacos. So that is what I got.

Blackened Vegie Phish Tacos & Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie

Taco Loco definitely has a hippy vibe to it, and it's not far from the beach. It's not particularly cheap, but I've heard Laguna Beach isn't cheap period, so I doubt it was pricier than some of the other nearby joints. I liked my phish tacos, I just wish there was more phish in the taco. The guacamole and salsa were good, but they kind of overpowered the phish flavor. I was super-impressed they had a vegan cookie as a dessert option. But I'm sorry to report that the vegan chocolate chip cookie was cakey and very disappointing. I've had vegan chocolate chip cookies that are 100% better, so there is no excuse in that department.

I'd definitely eat there again. And one of the best things about Taco Loco, is they are a great late night food option. And if you are hanging out at the beach all day in Laguna Beach, they're within walking distance.


Taco Loco

Ranking: ***1/2

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taco Loco
640 S. Pacific Coast Highway
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
(949) 497-1635
http://www.tacoloco.net/

Hours
Sunday- Thursday 11AM- 12PM
Friday-Saturday 11AM-2AM

No comments: