Monday, November 21, 2011

Guest Post: 24 Carrots, Chandler, AZ

24 Carrots
Kenike: I was kind of hesitant to review 24 Carrots after my visit a few months ago, as I didn't really get a chance to experience the cafe. I was in and out rather quick, on my way to a workshop, and they were about to close.  Luckily, we have a guest poster today to do the review for us. Please welcome, Carla Brown, here to do our very first guest post!

***

24 Carrots is a quaint café nestled between a Subway and a Caribbean restaurant on the northwest corner of Kyrene and Chandler Boulevard in Chandler. I’ve been practically stalking the owner, Sasha, on Facebook – I’m unsure how I even found her page – hungrily going over the pictures of her daily specials. I finally found the time to make the trek to this established café.


24 Carrots, Interior

The restaurant reminds me of a coffee shop with its bookshelf, coffee tables, and coach nestled in the back. This feeling is confirmed by the tattooed young man behind the counter. Today’s burger special is a Black Bean Pumpkin Burger with the choice of salad, tortilla chips, or carrots. I am a true sucker for anything pumpkin. In fact, the sole reason I came to this location rather than my usual haunts was the online promise of pumpkin bars, which I purchased immediately and took a bite while waiting for my meal. It was sweet with a cake-like texture topped with raw pumpkin seeds.

But back to the burger – it came out with tortilla chips on a whole wheat bun. The first bite tasted like a delicious mixture of Thanksgiving stuffing and cranberry sauce. It was, unfortunately, messy, but was easily scooped up with the chips. The chef made an appearance to ask how it was and I could only nod my head and give a thumbs-up since my mouth was still full with her tasty creation. Then she said something that made me want to kiss her, “We have a pumpkin cheesecake.” SOLD! The raw vegan pumpkin slice of heaven came on a fig-nut crust and was very rich. I would suggest splitting it. There were artistic swirls of cranberry sauce as a beautiful final touch.

Raw Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake

The rest of 24 Carrots’ menu consists of a full juice and smoothie bar, noshing plates, soups, salads, sandwiches and wraps, Mediterranean and Asian-inspired meals, and pizza. There is an extensive brunch menu and a few select items for the kiddos.


24 Carrots
Carla's Rating: ****

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
24 Carrots
6140 W. Chandler Blvd. Suite #2
Chandler, AZ 85226
(480) 753-4411
http://www.24carrotsjuice.com/

Hours
Monday - Friday  8am - 6pm
Saturday  8am -5pm
Sunday Closed


Bio:

Carla Brown is a part time writer and full time food lover. This meek, hippycore misfit from the Midwest plays is a blocker for Arizona Roller Debry. Her ideal world would include her significant other and skates in a treehouse, but not much else. Oh, and vegan cookies, but not much more than that.


Jerk Tofu with Pineapple Slaw Sammie, Tortilla Chips, Pickle, and Strawberry Coconut Water Smoothie

No comments: