Tuesday, September 27, 2011

On the Road: Native Foods, Costa Mesa, CA


Native Foods, Costa Mesa

I've reviewed Native Foods before, twice actually. Once for their Palm Springs location, and once for Costa Mesa's Holiday Dinner. I am a big fan.

I made the extra effort of a busy trip to get to Native Foods to try their Labor Day Special. Yeah, this was weeks ago, and you can pretty much only drool and dream at this point. Anyway it was a Chimichurri Burger (homemade thinly sliced seitan, topped with warm grilled zucchini slices, sweet roasted peppers, caramelized onions and freshly blended chimichurri sauce) with Garlic Fries. Mmmm.

Labor Day Chimichurri Burger and Garlic Fries....To Go

I particularly liked the Garlic Fries. I was a little worried the chimichurri sauce might be too vinegary because the one time I've ever had a chimichurri sauce, it was vinegar-overkill. But this was Chef Tayna, and I should never have worried. Good sammie, but I still love the Chicken Run Ranch Burger and the Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger better.

I also snapped up a cupcake, you know for research to see how it ranked in comparison to all the vegan cupcakes I have eaten in the past few years. I tried the Good Luck Rose one. I believe it was also tagged as cardamom flavor but I'm not sure about that; it was definitely rose-flavored and had rose petals on top. It was delish and ranks high on the chart of vegan cupcakes. A little more frosting than I care for, but it was good frosting. And too much frosting is an easy fix, though a painful one.

Good Luck Rose Cupcake
 
Anyway, Chef Tanya caved to high demand for the recipe of her chimichurri sauce and made a little video with directions. So now you can make your own chimichurri burger.






 
Native Foods (Costa Mesa)
Ranking: ****1/2

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Native Foods (Costa Mesa)
The CAMP
2937 Bristol St.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714)751-2151

http://www.nativefoods.com/

Hours
Monday-Sunday 11AM-10PM

No comments: