Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Stuff I've Been Eating

I finally started making some of the recipes in Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Appetite for Reduction (AfR) cookbook, which is full of healthy recipes. Very few meat analogue recipes, low fat, light on calories, and no sugary desserts. She has a great selection of interesting salads which are filling meals, not just sides. That Irish Stew I made came from this book too.

Here's the Sushi Roll Edamame Salad from Appetite for Reduction. I thought this was fantastic.
Sushi Roll Edamame Salad

In the photo below you can see the OMG Oven-Baked Onion Rings also from Appetite for Reduction. Delicious! So what I needed. Also, the Prospect Park Potato Salad from Veganomicon, and a Tofurky Kielbasa. The potato salad was only ok, but I know I am picky, and I haven't found a recipe I like yet. Loving the Kielbasa.

Link to Onion Rings recipe.

OMG Oven-Baked Onion Rings, Prospect Park Potato Salad, Tofurky Kielbasa

My sister made this cherry peach pie with fresh peaches from Schnepf Farms Peach Festival. Not sure where she got the recipe, but the peaches in it were especially yummy!

Cherry Peach Pie

Some friends had me over for dinner and made this Spaghetti Squash Mexicana with Tropical Avocado Salsa Fresca. I know my friends really like it, and I thought it was good, just not something I would make often. The Tropical Avocado Salasa Fresca would be great to use on tacos or other things too.

Spaghetti Squash Mexicana with Tropical Avocado Salsa Fresca

My sister made me some Rosemary Infused Olive Oil so that I could make Giada de Laurentis' special popcorn. It was quite tasty, and I started wondering why so many people use microwave popcorn when cooking it in a pot is just as easy.

Rosemary Popcorn

Rosemary Popcorn

I made this Apricot Cardamom East Coast Coffee Cake from Isa's Vegan Brunch cookbook for a birthday brunch. I think it turned out pretty well. I used St. Dalfour's Thick Apricot Spreadable Fruit instead of chopping up dried apricots. I would recommend my method for sure.

Apricot Cardamom East Coast Coffee Cake
More food from the brunch. Mmmmm.

Buckwheat Pancakes, Maple Syrup, & Strawberries; Hash Browns, Fakin' Bacon Tempeh Bacon, Fried Platanos, Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes/Crumbles,  Apricot Cardamom Coffee Cake

I made the Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes (vegan crabcakes)  in Vegan Brunch. They were ok, but a bit strong in tangy flavor and I inadvertently messed them up so they were more crumbles than cakes. I stared at them as crumbles trying to figure out what to do with the leftovers. I finally decided I was going to use the crumbles as pizza toppings. Best idea ever. As tempeh cakes on their own, they were just ok, but as pizza topping, they were sooooo good! I used Enrico's pizza sauce, Daiya mozzarella-flavor, and the Chesapeake Tempeh Cake crumbles on pita bread.

Link to Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes recipe.

Vegan Crab Cake Pizza

And last, but not least, I made the Lasagne Marinara with Spinach from Isa's Veganomicon. Oh, my delicioso! I served this to omnivores in my extended family and they approved. You must make it with the Cashew Ricotta and the Pine Nut Cream. The pine nut cream really elevates the lasagne to outstanding in my book. I also sprinkled in some bread crumbs, just for the heck of it. I recommend using the noodles where you do not cook them first.

Lasagne Marinara with Spinach

Bonus: Fancy [virgin] drinks from True Foods at the Biltmore Fashion Park in Phoenix. I had the Medicine Man which features olivello juice, an extract from sea buckthorn berries. Olivello is reportedly full of powerful natural anti-oxidants and other protective phytonutrients. True Foods claims they are the only restaurant in the nation to offer olivello juice. If you want to try it, I recommend Andy's Elixir. I think I like that one better than the Medicine Man, plus you'll get a better idea of taste with that one. True Foods offers clearly labeled gluten-free and vegan menu items, including desserts. One of these days I will get around to reviewing the food there.

True Foods - Red Moon and Medicine Man

No comments: