Monday, June 13, 2011

Scramble, Sunnyslope/Phoenix, AZ

Scramble

I was pretty excited to eat at Scramble, breakfast foods are my favorites and they offer several different vegan menu items; Vegan Mushroom and Spinach Scramble, Vegan Veggie Scramble, Vegan Soyrizo Burrito, and Vegan French Toast. You won't see these items on their menu board, but pick up one of their paper menus from the wall holder and they are listed there.

I cannot stress how much I appreciate them simply for offering a vegan breakfast menu. However, I visited Scramble twice and had two very different experiences, good and not-so-good.

First visit: Good.
I ordered the french toast and sweet potato hash instead of fruit. The french toast was really good, the hash was not my thing. The hash I could tell was good, but it was stuffed with loudly-flavored mushrooms, and I dislike mushrooms. I don't know if the hash always has mushrooms, as the next visit I was told by my eating companions it didn't, but this day it did.

Vegan French Toast with Sweet Potato Hash

Second visit: Not-so-good.
I think they were having an off day. At least I hope so. There was a mix-up with our order. First they were out of soyrizo, and several of us had to order something else, so I ordered the Vegan Veggie Scramble instead. In the end, I ended up with both the Vegan Soyrizo Burrito (last batch) and the Vegan Veggie Scramble. I was secretly glad because it meant I could sample both.

Vegan Soyrizo Burrito with Sweet Potato Hash & Side of Fruit

Unfortunately, the slight mix-up was not the only problem. The tofu scrambles were rather bland and the toast was cold. I easily forgive the toast, but not the bland scrambles. A couple of my friends had eaten there before and said they were normally rather tasty. And I know I liked the French toast from my first visit. So I am not entirely sure what to think. I'm going to rate Scramble with the caveat that I need to try them one more time to really decide if they are worth future visits. Certainly, they would beat out any other non-vegan-friendly places to dine and I'd hope to rate them at least 3 stars.

Vegan Veggie Scramble and Toast

Scramble

Ranking: **1/2

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scramble
9832 N. 7th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85020
(602)374-2294
http://www.azscramble.com/

Hours
Daily 6am - 2pm

No comments: