Monday, April 4, 2011

On the Road: Tucson Tamale Company, Tucson, AZ

Tucson Tamale Company @ Tucson Festival of Books

A few weeks ago, I attended the Tucson Festival of Books. Great event~! I was quite pleased to see they had the Tucson Tamale Company as part of their festival food vendors. I had heard about this company about a year ago, because someone mentioned they have vegan tamales. I was excited that there would be some serious vegan food with a local vibe on hand and that I would be able to finally try these infamous vegan tamales.

Normally, at their shoppe they have 5 or so vegetarian flavors as well as an additional 5 or so vegan tamale flavors. At the festival they only had one of each, as you can see by the sign. I didn't mind at all, though the New Delhi flavor didn't sound at all traditional. But then again, I am not really a tamale fan either so I was open to anything.

New Delhi Tamale and Medium Salsa

The New Delhi Vegan Tamale: Vegetable Curry. Carrots, peas, sweet potatoes, corn, onions, coconut milk and mild yellow curry.

I have to say that aside from the peas, I really enjoyed the tamale. I was impressed to such a degree that this is a tamale I would eat again. Though certainly, I might like to try the other flavors first. I'm planning to return to the Tucson Festival of Books again next year, and I know what I'll be eating. As a side note, a couple of my friends had two of the other tamales, including the vegetarian one, and enjoyed those as well.
 
You can order these tamales online and have them shipped anywhere in the U.S. You can also find them at many of the farmers markets, coops, Sunflower Markets, Whole Foods, throughout Tucson as well as other southern towns.

New Delhi Vegan Tamale, Unwrapped and Salsafied

Tucson Tamale Company
Ranking: ****

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tucson Tamale Company
2545 E. Broadway
Tucson, AZ 85716
(520)305-4760
http://www.tucsontamalecompany.com/

Hours
Monday - Saturday 10am - 7pm
Closed Sundays

No comments: