Wednesday, April 6, 2011

On the Road: Le Cave's Bakery, Tucson, AZ


Le Cave's Bakery Inc.

As I was in Tucson for breakfast, it was quite fortuitous that I had heard about the vegan donuts there just a couple of weeks before. So I dragged my crew to Le Cave Bakery.

Apparently, this place is a Tucson institution. It's been around since 1935 and the building certainly shows its historicness. This is not necessarily a terribly thing. It's just a dive bakery. But, what I didn't understand was the lack of seating should someone want to have breakfast on site. I don't expect much from a donut shop; just donuts, coffee (I don't drink it, I just expect it there), and a couple of table/chair units. This place only had the donuts. No coffees or beverages to accompany the donuts. It's kinda like a donut warehouse. Which is fine I suppose, if you know what you are getting and are not an out-of-towner looking for a place to chill over breakfast. And perhaps that also explains the lack of parking.

Veggie Glazed Donuts

So, their claim to fame are the glazed donuts which just happen to be vegan. I asked  the lady behind the counter if any of the others were vegan, and she indicated that a few of them used the same glaze and base but just added things like cinnamon and apples, so they should be. I didn't catch which ones they were, and I was pretty much there for the veggie glazed, but if you visit you can just ask.

The glazed donut was cheap and pretty tasty, a satisfying intake of sugar. I'd probably be worshipping them if I hadn't recently had Ronald's Donuts of Las Vegas. Ronald's is far superior. So, in short, I wouldn't drive to Tucson for this place, but if you are there already this is a decent place to visit for breakfast, just expect to take the donuts elsewhere for consumption. And stop for coffee on the way.

Veggie Glazed Donut...mmm

Le Cave's Bakery Inc.
Ranking: ***

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Le Cave's Bakery Inc.
1219 S. 6th Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85713
(520)624-2561
Hours
[Call Ahead]
Tuesday - Friday 6:30am-6pm
Saturday 8am - 5pm
Sunday 8am - 1pm
Closed Mondays

No comments: