Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Gardein Savory Stuffed Turk'y


I was so excited to see this product, you have no idea. I love so many of the Gardein faux meat products, particularly their faux chicken. And as I am having Thanksgiving with my omni family and I didn't want to make a huge Tofurky or Celebration Roast just for myself, I thought this product might be perfect portion-wise. One bag contains 2 little stuffed vegan turk'ys, one for dinner and one for leftovers. I would be able to focus all my cooking energy on bringing sides to share.

So it is with a heavy heart that I inform you that I didn't really care for the taste of them. Aside from the cripsy outer shell, that is, I did like that. It does come with a gravy, but I didn't really like that either. [Big sigh.] I know, I was disappointed too. I have no idea if this is a "just me" thing or not. It could very easily be my picky taste buds. I've been noticing I really only like the taste of faux chickn in general. For example I'm not a huge fan of mock steak or beef, though I do like the mock shrimp.



So how does this Gardein product compare to Tofurky and Celebration Roast? Well, I like both of those much better and despite my love for Gardein, I'd probably pick one of those over the Stuffed Turk'ys. But an even better option might be using Gardein's Chickn Scallopini for Tal Ronnen's Thanksgiving recipe, the Sage and Pumpkin Seed Encrusted Gardein with Cranberry Cabernet Sauce. Looks/sounds so good!

If you've tried the Savory Stuffed Turk'y, I'm curious, what did you think?


Gardein Savory Stuffed Turk'y
Rankng: **


***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

[Gardein products can be found at Whole Foods.]

No comments: