Monday, October 25, 2010

Deep Foods, Inc.

I recently started a new job with a very early morning shift and found myself in need of emergency frozen meals to grab for lunch on the days when I am too lazy or lacking the time to make my lunch.
Deep Foods, Inc. makes a bunch of different labels of Indian food, the two that I have tried are Tandoor Chef and Deep Indian Gourmet.

Tandoor Chef has a complete listing of all their vegan meals on their website and the packages are also labeled as vegan. The two I recently tried, Kofta Curry and Vegetable Pad Thai, were quite good. The Kofta Curry reminded me of Udupi's Vegetable Manchurian a little, but the sauce was a bit different. The Vegetable Pad Thai had a good assortment of vegetables and a delicious slightly sweet sauce. If I am not mistaken, it was also gluten free with rice noodles. I'll be getting these again.

The Deep Indian Gourmet product I tried was the Aloo Paratha. So! Good! I know a lot of people like the chutneys and other sauces, but I tend not to use them, so I like whatever I am eating to be flavorful enough without the added sauces. But not too spicy either. Deep's Aloo Paratha is perfect. Flaky bread filled with potatoes, chiles, and spices. Yum. The only thing about this one is I think they are better heated on a skillet than in the microwave, but I don't see why you couldn't use the nuker in a pinch.

[To see what Aloo Paratha looks like and maybe make your own at home, check out Manjula's Kitchen.]


Tandoor Chef
Rankng: ****1/2



Deep Indian Gourmet
Rankng: *****

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.


[Tandoor Chef frozen meals can be found at Sprouts and Target, and probably other grocers. Deep Indian Gourmet frozen products can be found at Lee Lee Oriental Supermarket.]

1 comment:

Rikki Cupcake said...

What is going on the 14th? I am confused! (: Of cours now I iwll be upset that I am missing something. There is another bake sale on the 21st! I need to post about it, I will give you more info soon!