Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Udupi Cafe, Tempe, AZ




I go to Udupi every once in awhile, but I always forget to bring my camera. Recently, I was there for the lunch buffet with a friend, and I managed to take some photos and notes.

This was my first time there for the buffet. Normally I order the Special Rava Masala Dosai entree and the Vegetable Manchurian as an appetizer, and I don't stray far from that order. So it was a good chance for me to try several more items and have more variety.

Udupi is 100% vegetarian and the majority of dishes on the menu are vegan. The lunch buffet was also almost entirely vegan.

I'm fairly sure these are the dishes that were served today: Rasam*, Uthappam*, Sambar*, Dahl Curry, Eggplant Beans (something), Tamarind Rice*, Paratha, Aloo Masala with Peas*, Channa Masala with Rajma*, and Gulab Jamun (not vegan); plus toppings like Coconut Chutney, Tomato Chutney, Tamarind Chutney, some kind of yogurt sauce (not vegan), and a couple of garnishes. They also served us some [Aloo] Masala Dosai*. The asterisked items are ones I tried.

Here is a photo of one of my plates.

Clockwise from top left; Paratha, Channa Masala with Rajma, Tamarind Rice, and Aloo Masala with Peas.

The food was fresh and delicious, we were there right when they opened. My favorite Indian dish is always the Aloo Masala- mmmmmmm! But I also particularly liked the Channa Masala with Rajma and Parathi. Nothing I had was too spicy to handle-I am one for moderate spiceage.

I've eaten here many times and sampled enough dishes to recommend this place without reservation. There are some dishes that are not to my taste, but that's a defect of my tongue buds, not the quality of the food. I'm not really a connoisseur of Indian food, and I eat it infrequently, but I do enjoy going to Udupi.

The decor is fairly plain, not at all fancy, but it's always clean. I've never been there when it's packed, there's always a few open tables without a wait (assuming you aren't there with a large party).

Udupi Cafe
Ranking: ****

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Udupi Cafe
1636 N. Scottsdale Rd.
Tempe, AZ 85281
480-994-8787
Closest Cross Streets- McKellips & Scottsdale Rd.
http://www.udupicafeaz.com/


Hours
Sun, Mon, Wed, & Thurs
11am-3pm Buffet
5pm-9:30pm Dinner

Fri & Sat
11am-3pm Buffet
5pm-10pm Dinner

Tuesday
Closed

1 comment:

Veg-In-Training said...

I love the Aloo Gobi. It's a little greasy but so incredible. Reminds me I haven't been there in a while!