Monday, October 4, 2010

Cupcakes


I needed a sugar fix and was reminded that Cupcakes has a regular vegan cupcake for sale, the Skinny Mini, "lemon cake topped with a luscious lemon frosting and canary yellow luster dust". I called ahead because the last time I called to ask about them they were completely out. Turns out they only had one left and I asked them to save it for me. Phew!

If they do offer any other vegan flavors, they are seasonal specials or special orders. Lemon is pretty much all we get, which is a shame.

The verdict: The cupcake didn't seem super fresh despite the fact that their website indicates they are baked every morning at 4am. It wasn't stale or dried out, but it wasn't as moist as I was expecting either. (I was there around 2pm.) One of the things I noticed about this cupcake was its seriously fluorescent, airbrushed yellow color. Perhaps it was my imagination influenced by the improbable hue, but the taste had a slightly artificial flavor to it and it was very sweet. I checked the website later, and it does indicate the Skinny Mini has food coloring as an ingredient, so perhaps that is what I was tasting.

It wasn't a bad cupcake, despite my comments above. But I've had many homemade vegan cupcakes that I enjoy far more. If you're willing to pay $3 or so for a cupcake, I think Sprinkles' vegan Red Velvet cupcake is the far superior option. These two cupcake joints are only about a mile or so apart in Scottsdale, so it's easy to make the choice for one over the other. Plus, Sprinkles tends to have the vegan cupcakes in stock with lower odds of them being out. If you choose Cupcakes or want several cupcakes, I highly recommend you call ahead. 


Cupcakes
Ranking: ***

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cupcakes
6137 N. Scottsdale Rd. #B-105
Scottsdale, AZ 85250
480-656-3816
http://www.gotcupcakes.com/

*Additional location in Tucson.

Hours
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm
Sunday  Closed

2 comments:

Rikki Cupcake said...

you should visit me at Pomegranate Cafe and get tasty fresh treats, all vegan! (:

Kenike said...

I've totally been meaning too, but it's just a bit out of the way for me and I haven't been able to schedule a special trip. I will tho!