Saturday, April 10, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake


Strawberry Shortcake is usally composed of strawberries in juice or syrup, whipped topping, and a cakey-base. The 'shortcake' is usually a variation of  traditional shortcake, vanilla cake, pound cake, angel food cake, or some sweet biscuit. I grew up on the angel food cake version, but now I love the pound cake version. I'd probably eat and love any vegan Strawberry Shortcake! It's tied with Carrot Cake as my favorite dessert of all time.

There are two great versions I have had as a vegan.

The Blooming Platter's Vanilla Poundcake, my Strawberry Sauce, and Manifest Vegan's Coconut Whipped Cream. (above photo)

V-con's Vanilla Yogurt Poundcake with my Strawberry Sauce (below photo) (I don't usually eat whipped cream on my desserts.)

Here are the ingredients for the versions I have tried and like so far:

Cake base:
Veganomicon's (V-con) Vanilla-Yogurt Pound Cake recipe is perfect as a base for Strawberry Shortcake.

The Blooming Platter has a yummy Vegan Poundcake recipe too.

Strawberry Sauce:
You don't really need a recipe for this. Just slice your fresh strawberries into a bowl. Sprinkle just a little bit of sugar on top, you shouldn't need more than a couple of tablespoons, max. Give it a quick mix, and then put it into the fridge and it will create its own little juice. I've actually made this with agave nectar instead of sugar, and it worked just fine, but I prefer the sugar version. If you want to keep your strawberries fresh and syrup-free, that is fine, but the sugared versions are a great rescue for the not-so-perfectly-sweet strawberry specimens that we mostly get here in Arizona. Also, the juices seep into the poundcake which, in my opinion, enhances the entire dessert.

Creams:
Manifest Vegan's Whipped Coconut Cream

Soyatoo! offers easy premade, storebought whipped toppings; Soy Whip (whippable), Soy Whip (whipped in a pressurized can), and Rice Whip (whipped in a pressurized can). I've only tried the can version of the Soy Whip, it's tasty and the perfect topper for many desserts including Strawberry Shortcake.


Other Versions:
Vegalicious' Strawberry Shortcake

Vegan Coach's Strawberry Shortcake

ChooseVeg's Strawberry Shortcake (has a vegan cream cheese sauce...yum!)

About.Com's  [old fashioned] Strawberry Shortcake

Bryanna Clark Grogan's Traditional, But Vegan Strawberry Shortcake (complete with Almond Creme Whipped Topping)

Manifest Vegan's Strawberry Shortcake [with Whipped Coconut Cream]

Below: Raw Strawberry Shortcake...to make it vegan, just use agave nectar instead of the honey shown in this video.

No comments: