Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kashi's Vegan Frozen Entrees

I'm not a huge fan of frozen meals in general, except for the convenience factor. So, I do eat my fair share of them, maybe more, cause I am lazy. Kashi makes two that I like pretty well. The Mayan Harvest Bake and the Tuscan Veggie Bake (essentially lasagna).

I'm especially impressed with the Mayan Harvest Bake which is one of the more unique frozen meals I have had. The list of ingredients includes plantains, black beans, sweet potatoes, kale, amaranth, polenta, whole grain pilaf, pumpkin seeds, and spicy ancho sauce. It doesn't look like the picture on the box but I do like the taste, especially the sweet of the plantains with the spicy ancho sauce. It's a nice refreshing flavor compared to my usual frozen meal fare.


The Tuscan Veggie Bake is also pretty good. I'm not a fan of eggplant, but that doesn't seem to be a barrier for me liking this one. This one has yellow squash, roasted eggplant, red onion, sweet potato, basil tomato sauce, sun dried tomatoes, and whole grain noodles. This is a great vegan lasagna that has little bits of creaminess mixed with the noodles and vegetables.


Another vegan flavor is the Black Bean Mango. I tried that one a long while back and personally was not impressed so I haven't had it again, but I do recommend giving it a shot to see what you think.


Kashi Mayan Harvest Bake
Ranking: ****

Kashi Tuscan Veggie Bake
Ranking: ***1/2

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

[Kashi frozen entrees can be found at Sprouts, Whole Foods, Safeway, Target, AJ's Fine Foods, and Fry's Marketplace. I've really only found the Mayan Harvest Bake and the Tuscan Veggie Bake at Fry's Marketplace, but the other stores carry Kashi frozen entrees and it might just depend on your neighborhood for flavor varieties. Plus, if the store carries Kashi frozen meals already, they might easily be willing to order the other flavors for you.]

No comments: