Friday, February 25, 2011

Recipe Round-up: Columbian Food

My dinner trip to Colombia was not enough for me. I want more Colombian food. Mmmmm. So I was surfing the net for more recipes and thought I would share them with you.

My Colombian Recipes shares a LOT of Colombian recipes. Erica, the blogger is from Colombia and living in America with her newly vegetarian husband. So many of her recipes are vegetarian and vegan friendly. I picked out a few of her traditional Colombian ones that are already vegan, and the ones that just need easy subs like non-dairy milk and vegan margarine or egg replacer, etc. If you get stuck on substitution ideas, let me know.

Now, on to the recipes of My Colombian RecipesEmpanadas with Peanuts and Potatoes, Colada de Maizena, Colombian Hot Sauce, Hot Chocolate in Coconut Milk, Hojuelas Colombianas, Sweet Arepas with Anise, Cassava Balls with Melado, Canelazo, Rice with Coconut and Lentils, Paletas de Salpicon (Fruit Popsicles), Vegetarian Lentil and Rice Soup, Rice with Coconut and Raisins, Avena Drink, and Plantains with Brown Sugar Syrup.

SHIFT Vegan has a couple of Columbian dishes: Vegan Colombian Cazuela Soup and Columbian Arepas.

Jugo del Lulo and Chocolate Caliente, both beverages, from Considering Columbia, a (now-closed) blog about a vegan living in South America. Of course with this first recipe, you gotta find some lulo fruit- maybe Lee Lee's?

Cooking Diva's Cocada con Almendra

IVU's (aka International Vegetarian Union) collected recipes from and inspired by Colombia: Simple Colombian Beans, Pumpkin Salad, Patacones, Don Emilio's Salsa, Colombian Aji Sauce, and Colombian Potato Salad.

And, man, I would love to veganize these, Colombian-Style Stuffed Potatoes (aka Papas Rellenas Colombianas) and Plantain Cake (aka Torta de Platano Maduro)! Looks doable.

Buen provecho!

1 comment:

Imaginista said...

Colombian Vegan. You are simply too cool for words.