Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Vegan at Starbucks

Edited on 3/26/12: "Beware: Starbucks' Soy Strawberries & Creme Frappuccino is NOT vegan." Not anymore. http://ow.ly/9TFWI

Soy Strawberries & Crème Frappuccino® Blended Crème

I am not a coffee-drinker, I don't like the taste of coffee. As such I only go to coffee shops like Starbucks when someone else wants to meet there. For a while now they have sold the Naked Juices, of which there are several vegan flavors, and I typically drink one of those or water. Still, I am excited about the new vegan products available.

Starbucks is now offering vegan Frappuccinos made from soy as of May 5, and possibly sooner if your local store has everything in stock. There is a new SOY blender pitcher and it is pink and used only for soy milk drinks. You could get vegan coffees with soy milk before, but the frapps are a nice addition. Especially since this means the Soy Strawberries & Creme drink will be vegan. That sucker is delicious! I am so getting one.

There are a few limitations with the Frapps. Here's what you need to know:

Vegan
Regular/Coffee Frapp base (also gluten-free)
Creme Frapp base (also gluten-free)
Mocha Sauce
Strawberry Sauce
Vanilla Bean Powder
Matcha Powder (green tea)
Most other syrups including the caramel SYRUP

Not Vegan
Light Frapp base (not gluten-free)(dairy)
Chocolate Chips (dairy)
White Mocha (dairy)
Caramel SAUCE (dairy)
Cream Syrup (dairy)
Chai Concentrate (honey)
Java Chips (dairy)
Whipped Cream (dairy)
Most of the seasonal flavors and "sauces" (dairy)


I don't think this list is comprehensive, so don't forget to just ask your barista if you are not sure about an ingredient.

Additional ingredients help.

~~~
Starbucks also has a couple of snacks that are vegan. Unfortunately, no vegan pastries, but the Lucy's Cookies are sweet at least.



A while back the news broke that Starbucks was serving vegan cookies, Lucy's Cookies. These cookies are also gluten-free, and free of peanuts and tree nuts. I have yet to try them because I rarely go to Starbucks, but I hear good things.




I believe most Starbucks are also selling the Food Should Taste Good Chips, and every flavor but the cheddar one is certified vegan.

So now, vegans can get a Frapp and snack on some cookies or chips. Sweet!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work at starbucks and the cream syrup is not vegan, it contains milk. I too am a vegan and have been with the company 5 years, I'm glad thet have changed a few things to accommodate with vegan diets!

Kenike said...

Ok, thanks, that's good to know, but also conflicting info from another staff person at Starbucks. I will add it to the list of not vegan.

Rikki Cupcake said...

That is awesome, I work right next to Starbuck's and maybe I will pick up something. Hey please email me your full name the peple at the Boston Terrier Rescue want to put together a little something about last week's event. rikkicupcake@yahoo.com

thanks!

C said...

WOW thanks for the info! I used to be a hard core coffee girl and usually still like one now and then. But I've severely cut down the amount caffiene in my diet, and really miss doing the coffee thing with my friends. I will be sure to hit up SB next time I feel the urge and try one of these!

Kenike said...

I tried the Soy Strawberries and Creme today and loved it! But one of my omni-friends was very upset that SB changed the formula and said the new frapps don't taste as good. I suspect that alot of people feel this way. And he didn't care that I was happy because he was unhappy. Oh well. Hahahha!