Thursday, May 20, 2010

Liz Lovely Peanut Butter Classics

Liz Lovely Peanut Butter Classic Cookies

My abso-fave flavor of cookie is peanut butter (preferably with the little criss crosses made from forks). I'm pretty sure Betty Crocker is responsible for my view of the perfect peanut butter cookie. Anyway, I almost always buy every new vegan peanut butter cookie I come across in search of The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie™. I do this even though I have a couple of pretty good vegan peanut butter cookie recipes.

So, as I was ordering some white chocolate chips from Pangea, I decided to take the opportunity to try Liz Lovely's Peanut Butter Classic cookies. I've never had Liz Lovely before because they are not sold in Arizona yet. My order arrived today and I was surprised to see two big cookies slathered in chocolate. I don't know why I didn't realize that they were ganached with chocolate when I ordered them, but they are. They have a little chocolate striping on the top, and the back is completed coated with it. Because every bite had significant chocolatey bits, it was hard to evaluate the peanut butter cookie base quality, but it seemed like a good specimen.

The cookies overall are really quite good, however, they are by no means the classic peanut butter cookies I was expecting. Too much chocolate for that, and no crisscosses. I'm not really complaining, I was just hankering for something a little closer to those Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookies I grew up on.

Liz Lovely has several other organic & vegan artisan cookie flavors: Cowboy Cookies, Cowgirl Cookies, Ginger Snapdragons, Chocolate Moose Dragons, Snicker Dudes, Macaroonies Sock-It-To-Me!, and Goats A'Grazin'.

They also have an entire line of gluten-free flavors (also vegan and organic): Chocolate Fudge, Ginger Molasses, German Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Chip, Triple Chocolate Mint, Snickerdoodle, Oatmeal Raisin, and Coconut Lemon.

Ranking: ****

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

[Liz Lovely goodies are not sold "in" Arizona, but you can order them online from the Liz Lovely website, Pangea, or Vegan Essentials.

3 comments:

Rikki Cupcake said...

I love chocolate and peanut butter together! I too buy every Vegan cookie I come across (not just pb) and for the most part I ejoy them but just ike any cookie there are duds. Have you tried the wholesome junkfood cookie bites at Whole Foods? Those right now are my favorite.

Kenike said...

I'm not sure I know which ones those are. I know they have the Uncle Eddie's Peanut Butter Chocolate, which I adore, and Nana's cookies (ok), Michelle's Naturally cookies (pretty good), and Fabe's little cookies(eh)...I'm trying to think what else they've got that I've tried.

Wait, if those are the ones I am thinking of, my sister got me some from Whole Foods once to try, and they WERE really good. Only I've never found them at the WF near me, nor had them since.

Rikki Cupcake said...

yeah they have been hard to find but it seems they are always in stock now. They are by the coffee in the tempe whole foods and over by the fresh cakes in the chandler wholefoods. i am a grocery store junkie. (: