Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Loving Hut, Glendale, AZ

Loving Hut is a not-for-profit, family-owned franchise chain founded by the Supreme Master Ching Hai and her followers. They have many, many locations internationally (ex. Brisbane, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Bangkok, Seoul, Vancouver, Seattle, NYC, Chicago, Orlando, etc.) The food is completely vegan and distinctly Asian Fusion (Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Korean), but you can find a veggie burger, bbq, or spaghetti on the menu.

I fully confess that I am addicted to their Golden Beauty (crispy soy protein, lemongrass, and chili). I just love the flavor of lemongrass and chili, and I've always been addicted to fried foods, so this suits me perfectly. Just be aware that if you order this, all you get is the fried soy protein bits, as it doesn't come with any vegetables, just rice and a little bit of decorative lettuce. So, I usually like to order it and get the Blissful Fried Rice instead of plain rice. They have such good fried rice!

[Loving Hut Take-Out (clockwise from top): Sweet and Sour Dipping
Sauce, Blissful Fried Rice, Golden Beauty, Spicy Cha Cha
on Brown Rice, &Golden Wontons]


I also love their Sweet and Sour Divine (soy protein, bell peppers, pineapple, carrot, onion, sesame seeds, and sweet and sour sauce). It was the first version of Sweet and Sour that tasted like the Sweet and Sour I grew up on from my family's favorite Chinese restaurant. Including the Sweet and Sour dishes I had when I was a semi-vegetarian and lacto-ovo vegetarian. Ooh. Good stuff!

Also, I usually go for their Golden Wontons which come with a sweet and sour dipping sauce for an appetizer. I have not explored much past these menu items, but I've tried and enjoyed samples of other people's dishes: Golden Rolls, Teriyaki Galaxy, and the Spicy Cha Cha.

I've tried their carrot cake, and it wasn't bad, but I definitely have a biased palate regarding carrot cake and nothing seems to measure up to mine. The banana fritters are pretty tasty and the cheese cake too. None of the desserts I have had are to-die-for, but they do satisfy the sweet tooth.

Loving Hut also has several special hot and cold beverages, but I haven't tried any. I'm boring in that I usually just get ice water.

The food service is usually pretty fast and friendly, and they often bring out a freebie soup cup while you are waiting. I definitely enjoy dining at Loving Hut. It's best to go with a large group of friends and beg for samples of their meals so you get a chance to taste the variety.


Loving Hut - Glendale/Phoenix

Ranking: *****

***** awesome! Highly recommended.
**** hey, this is pretty dang good.
*** not bad at all.
** eh.
* bad. Keep looking for alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loving Hut - Glendale/Phoenix
3515-A W. Union Hills Dr.
Glendale, AZ 85308
(602)978-0393
www.lovinghut.us/phoenix

Hours
Monday - Saturday 11:00AM-3:00PM and  5:00PM-9:00PM
Sunday - Closed

2 comments:

Xhanthi said...

I've been wanting go here for ages, the food looks great and the prices are HOT.

Going to have to drag some people out there for lunch soon.

Kenike said...

:)