Thursday, March 4, 2010

Composting

I've been meaning to try composting for awhile now. I have a bin and everything. I'm just not feeling confident that I know enough to do it. And I am notoriously lazy about yard work. So, I've been stalling. And then I saw online that there are some local classes available to help people learn about composting. I'm hoping to take one of them but my schedule is not looking compatible.

Composting HeroineCOMPOSTING CLASSES
Wednesday, March 10, 6:30pm-8pm
Tempe Transportation Center, Tempe
$10 Suggested Donation. Not sure about registration, call to be sure.

Speaker: Pam Perry, Master Gardener
Saturday, March 13, 1:30pm-3pm
Mesa Public Library, Dobson Branch, Mesa
Free. No registration necessary.


 
Speaker: Pam Perry, Master Gardener
Saturday, March 27, 10am-12pm
Southwest Gardener (Store), Phoenix
Fee $20. Registration Required.

Composting Basics
Speaker: Kirti Mathura, Horticulturist, Author
Saturday, April 17, 10:30am-1pm
Care 1st Resource Annex Center, Avondale
Registration Required. Not sure about a fee, looks free.



Maricopa County also offers composting classes, but I don't see any coming up. And some of the community colleges offer gardening seminars that include composting.
I know for sure that the cities of Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Mesa sell composting bins for backyard use. You'll have to check your specific city's website for more details.

The interesting thing about home composting is you should not put any animal products in the bin. But any food scraps from us vegans are completely eligible.

I wish I lived in San Francisco. They have mandatory composting (and recycling), and pick up compostable products in a bin like trash and recycling. Isn't that cool?! San Francisco is always doing great things like this.

No comments: